2011年9月4日 星期日

夢遠了,我都還記得

It's kind of interesting how MBA programs usually sell themselves for transforming people. That's what they always tell you at the start of the course. Get out of your comfort zone. Be more adventurous and ENTREPRENEURIAL. I did dream of how marvellously I would be changed. I'd become a confident person, loads of MBA bullshit, awesome job prospects...

It now seems that MBA was actually a journey to find out how perversely stubborn a person I am. I always used to think I'm not that much of a Virgo but now I know better.

In the past month I had actually been doing a lot of proofreading work for some non-native English speakers on their dissertations. Dissertations would usually discuss whether a qualitative or a quantitative approach is more suitable for the research topic blah blah. One thing I noticed is that

I BELIEVE IN NONE OF THE QUALITATIVE RESEARCH. Yes. Most people use a qualitative approach because of time constraints, because there are not enough samples...and so, I believe in none of them. None at all. OK, yes, you wrote in the case study that you interviewed a guy who said A. But he could be bluffing. Yes, B said the same thing but then I'd start thinking, they won't let you know the whole story anyway so of course they'd say something that's consistent with the rumours in the industry. And there would usually be no case C because of the time constraints.

And so I do a quantitative research. That's not too much better, actually. By working on my dissertation I found how easy it is to muck up the numbers. So you've already done the whole analysis and you find you messed up something in the middle, though it's not obvious and it MIGHT not affect the results. Do you start over? I started over twice but when I messed something up the third time, I just couldn't force myself to do it again. Nobody would check anyway. And due to time constraints my sample was only from the S&P500. And to cover my ass I say the limitation is that S&P500 might not be able to represent the entire market. And end up concluding NOTHING, which I am actually quite comfortable with.

What is the point of doing a dissertation, then?

What's even more scary is that I now know I am a non-believer in basically EVERYTHING. I got goosebumps the moment I write this.

Alright James, I wrote this in English just for you.

沒有留言:

張貼留言